Monday 9 January 2012

Review: Invasion by Jon Lewis

Title: Invasion
Author: Jon Lewis
Publication date: December 8th 2010
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Age group: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Cover rating: 2/5
Content rating: 3/5
Buy: Amazon


Description:

Colt McAlister was having the summer of his life. He spent his days surfing and his nights playing guitar on the beach with friends. He even met a girl and got his first car. But everything changes when his parents are killed in a freak accident. 

He's forced to leave his old life behind and move to Arizona with his grandfather. The only person he knows at the new high school is a childhood friend named Dani. And Oz, a guy he's sure he's never met but who is strangely familiar. 

But what if his parents' death wasn't an accident? His mother, an investigative reporter, was going to expose a secret mind-control program run by one of the world's largest companies. Before she could release the story, what if agents from Trident Biotech made sure she couldn't go public? 

My thoughts:


Before I got this book, I read the Kindle sample and really loved it. I was completely drawn in by the fast paced writing and just had to know what was going to happen next! So I got the rest of the book and was pretty interested in reading it. While it was good, it wasn't good the whole way through.

I really enjoyed the first half. I loved getting to know Colt and watching him slowly learn things and figure out what was going on. The writing makes it very easy to read and it's quite exciting. It was fascinating getting all the information about the hidden world and I thought Colt was an incredibly strong character, especially considering everything he was going through personally! This book is full of brave and no-nonsense characters.

It slowed down for me a bit though- ironically, it slowed for me as the action sped up! I'm just not into lots of action so that didn't manage to hold my attention very well. Not really a fault with the book- just a preference I have as a reader! So some people will definitely enjoy the action but it just wasn't for me. It picked up again as it was ending though and I very much enjoyed the last pages and they made be eager to pick up the next book.

Overall, Invasion is an action packed, thrilling light read full of well developed characters and I will be reading the sequel as I definitely want to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...