Saturday 7 January 2012

Review: Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title: Fracture
Author: Megan Miranda
Publication date: Jan. 5th 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's Books
Age group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
Cover rating: 4/5
Content rating: 4.5/5
Buy: Amazon


Description: 

Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

My thoughts:

I'm finding this one hard to rate. It was not perfect but it was really, really good and definitely had me on the edge of my seat. It had a few minor things that irritated me though so I think 4.5 stars is the most accurate rating I can give it. I was so excited for this book and it definitely did not let me down. 

Fracture is a gorgeous novel about a young girl who, medically speaking, should not be alive. Delaney drowned while out on the lake with her friends, and her best friend managed to save her and bring her back to life- after 11 minutes. The doctors are baffled as Delaney seems perfectly healthy. Her brain scan shows signs of damage yet she can walk and talk just fine. But the doctors don't know about the creepy feelings Delaney is experiencing and her 'pull' towards certain people in her community. 

Then along comes this mysterious guy who keeps popping up everywhere she goes. And her best friend Decker who's being weird with her. And her parents who hardly recognize who she is since the accident. Delaney's got a lot going on and her brain is rebelling against her. I was utterly captivated by the story and did not want to put it down! I found it so easy to identify with all the characters and was rooting for Delaney all the way. 

The writing in this book had me captivated from the very first page! It flowed amazingly well and was a pleasure to read. I was caught up in Delaney's life and felt like it was all happening right in front of me. All the characters are so well developed. Delaney was an easy protagnoist to like, Decker was lovely and even Carson was interesting, especially towards the end! I really enjoyed following them as they all tried to navigate their way through the mess and I must say, it wasn't at all predictable. A lot of things happened that shocked me and it certainly kept me on my feet. 

I wasn't too excited by how it ended. It was too abrupt for my liking and I would have loved to find out how things went after! Other than though, it was a quick, emotional read and I would certainly recommended it.

2 comments:

  1. I had the same problem rating this book! I really enjoyed it though! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this a couple weekends ago and i loved it. There were some points in the book that made me angry but i dealt with it. Overall though i agree it was pretty good because i couldn't put it down either.

    ReplyDelete

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...