Friday 18 May 2012

Review: Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi (Under The Never Sky #1)

Title: Under The Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Publication date: January 3rd 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins
Age group: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian/Fantasy
Cover rating: 4/5
Content rating: 2/5
Buy: Amazon 


Description:
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction. 
As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions. 
They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY
My thoughts:
This is actually a pretty tough review to write. Under The Never Sky was without a doubt one of my most anticipated books of 2012. I actually decided to read it this week because I was in a reading slump, and figured I would definitely love this so it would help me out. That was not the case! It was a bit of a let down! I loved the first 20 pages and remember thinking it might actually end up being a five star book. However, nothing much happened for the next 100 pages or so which definitely lost this one some stars. Honestly, the snails were passing this plot out. I was really far into the book before Aria and Perry met- something which we're told right there in the description!

I think that one of the most jarring things about this one was that I didn't expect it to have such a fantasy feel to it. I had assumed it was a dystopian along the lines of Divergent and company, but it had a paranormal aspect that I didn't realize would be there and that I didn't much like. It felt like it was too much of a mix of everything and I didn't personally think all the elements blended in that well with each other. Everything felt really out of place.

What I did like: The way the chapters alternated between Aria and Perry. It actually worked ridiculously well in this book and I enjoyed it. I enjoyed getting to know them and seeing how differently they both saw the same world as they had really different upbringings. I loved reading about Perry's relationship with his family members and all the drama that went along with it. I liked how he looked out for his nephew, Talon.

I also LOVED Roar! He was pretty awesome and had me laughing out loud every time he opened his mouth! I probably would have adored this book had he been in it from the very beginning to make things funny and lighthearted with his snarky and cocky attitude. He was without a doubt my favourite character in the novel an I wouldn't have minded a whole novel centered around him.

I did enjoy Rossi's writing and while the plot moved slowly, it wasn't actually difficult to read because Rossi certainly has a way with words. Some things would be phrased so nicely or differently that I'd just have to go back and re-read it again just to appreciate how it was said. It definitely made sure that I will read other books by this author- perhaps not in this series but I would totally check out other stuff she writes!

Despite there being quite few good points, I was still left with an overwhelming ''meh'' feeling. I do not think much happened. Small events here and there but nothing too exciting or terrifying. I spent the whole book waiting for it to get good, waiting for it to live up to my expectations and all the rave reviews. No luck though and I won't be reading the sequel unless it pops up in my library or something. I'd probably still recommend it but I myself was left sorely disappointed and bored!

Looking at Goodreads, I am one of only a handful of people who didn't adore this one so take that as you will.

25 comments:

  1. haha yes it was a pretty slow paced book especially at the start. It was also hard to get into because of the new unexplained terms that was thrown in. In the end the plot is pretty good thoguh with a very intriguing ending so I'll be reading book 2 for sure. But I'm with you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trung tam nhan cuoi dep thanh duyen. cảm ơn bạn đã đăng bài rất hay.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I liked it more than you did but I agree that the pacing was really slow and that I could have done without the paranormal aspects (even though at one point someone's "abilities" play heavily into an escape).

    I also really liked Roar! And Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, now that I think about it, it was horribly dry in the beginning but thank GOD it picked up later. I'm sorry you're in a reading slump. :( I think you should do some re-reads of your favorites or take a break from it for a while. That usually helps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to see that you didn't enjoy this one more. The paranormal element surprised me too! Didn't expect that one. I really liked the switching POVs too. Normally I don't like that, but it really worked for this book. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually just reviewed this one and I loved it.
    It's really too bad you couldn't like it more.
    I went into the book with very low expectations, so that's maybe why I loved it.

    I also loved Roar. He was pretty epic ! ;)

    Great review, Nicola :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm sorry you didn't love this, but nice review! UTNS was one of my favourite reads last year. I fell in love with Perry & Aria and didn't notice the slow plot at all, as I was busy watching their relationship like a hawk! I adored every moment between them and could've continued watching them walk up and down to nowhere forever but..anyway ;)

    Certainly wasn't expecting the paranormal aspect but I think it really worked and complemented the story! I'm so insanely excited for book 2.. *runs away to fangirl*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Upon seeing that 2/5 for the content I thought oh no! I haven't yet read this book but it sounds like it was trying too hard from what you said in your review. Sometimes a mix of genres can work well for a book but I guess I would be disappointed as well if I went in thinking one thing and got something completely different.

    Since I do own a copy of this book I shall just have to read it to see how I feel because as you said a lot of people adored this one.

    Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh a character named Talon?! My friend is marrying a Talon, so that's pretty awesome. Roar does sound amazing. Sorry you didn't like this one more. I'm not sure it would be for me...I like these types of books to start out faster for the most part.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry that this book is a disappointment, Nicola! I understand what you mean. When a book receives so much raving reviews, it makes me waiting for the particular event that leads me to give it 5 stars. It's really disappointing when instead, I was left with 'huh?' feeling! It's too bad that Under The Never Sky sounds like that kind of book.

    Still, you write such fabulous review! <3 I hope you can find a good book later to help you overcome the reading slump, Nicola! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was one that never appealed to me. But sorry you were so looking forward to it and were disappointed, nothing worse than that. I love to read over lovely scenes too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read rave reviews on this one but have not had a chance to pick it up. I do like seeing how everyone's opinion varies. I am sorry though it didn't get you out of your reading slump. One of these days I will read this one. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww sorry you didn't enjoy this one more, I did love it. But I did find it slow paced at times too. I loved the two different perspectives from Aria & Perry throughout the book. Thanks for a honest review, Nicola :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ROAR!! <3 Oh my gosh, he was totally my favourite character of the whole book too! I kind of wanted him to be a love interest for Aria because I loved him so much, but I guess that would kind of trump how I liked the way this book didn't have a love triangle haha :') Maybe we can petition for that book just about him? I'm sure we could get enough signatures for it LOL!

    Awesome honest review, Nicola! I'm so sorry that you didn't like this book as much as I did, but you always have a way of wording your thoughts graciously, even when they're negative :) Hopefully the next book will be better if you choose to read it! <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great, honest review, Nicola! It sucks that this let you down, especially when you were looking for something to get you out of a slump. I hope you found a good book to read!

    I have read this book, I don't even think it's on my to-read list and I'm glad you warned me of the paranormal aspect, I might skip it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard a lot of either love it or hate it with this book. I actually started it once and got bored within a couple pages and stopped. I want to give it another fair shot. Some people love it so I might end up loving it. I'm sad to hear it is slow and takes a long time for the romance couple to meet. I do love alternating POVs and I'm glad to hear those worked out well. Always good when a book has a fun character like Roar seems to be! The cover is so pretty. Too bad it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. tnx 4 the honest review
    Too bad it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sucks when a book doesn't live up to expectations, but you did a great job laying out your argument as to why in this review. I hate writing somewhat negative reviews and I think you wrote this one perfectly!

    I have heard mixed reviews of this book, but the one thing that remains constant: everyone loves Roar! I think it's kind of a weird turn of events when a secondary character gets so much more love than the main characters, but it seems to happen all the time! I will probably still read this book, because I'm curious which camp I will fall into, but I'm in no rush:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a shame that it didn't work out for you! It sucks when a book doesn't live up to your expectations :( I've heard a lot of great things about this one, so I'm still looking forward to it. Thanks for your honesty, I will keep this in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sad to hear you didn't like it as much as you first thought! Although I have to admit that I read the first couple of chapters (from a sample), and I immediately crossed it for my list. It was too dystopian for me T__T BUT then I saw the book trailer, and... I think I'll end up giving it a second try, just in case. Nice review! I hope you read the second and like it better :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, Great!!!Your article is very good.
    Read more: Trang chuyên kết quả xsmb siêu nhanh, siêu chuẩn 100%. Để có thông tin mới nhất trong ngày mời bạn truy cập tại thoi trang cập nhật liên tục 24/24h. Mọi thông tin chi tiết xin liên hệ tin tuc mới nhất.

    Ms. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your post!!!

    You may be interested: Trang chuyên kqsx siêu nhanh, siêu chuẩn 100%. Ngoài ra để nhận cặp số may mắn free bạn có thể truy cập tại thóng ke xo so trực tuyến hôm nay, siêu nhanh siêu chuẩn hay truy cập tại truc tiep ket qua xo so để biết thêm thông tin chi tiết nhất.

    Thank you! <3 <3 <3 N.A

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cảm ơn tác giả rất nhiều :D. Mong rằng bạn sẽ có những bài viết bổ ích hơn nữa :D
    Read more:Các bạn xem thêm thông tin
    Chúng tôichuyên cập nhật các tin tức xổ số hằng ngày, xổ số 3 miền, xổ số miền trung trực tiếp trên những cầu quay trên toàn quốc. soi cầu xổ số trực tiếp hằng ngày hoặc bạn có thể xem xsmb hằng ngàyxổ số soi cầu

    ReplyDelete
  23. See more sample rings kim cương nhân tạo most singing this year

    ReplyDelete

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...