Friday 11 May 2012

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles #1)

Title: Cinder
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publication date: January 3rd 2012
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Age group: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
Cover rating: 5/5
Content rating: 5/5
Buy: AmazonThe Book Depository


Description via Goodreads:
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, the ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .  
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
My thoughts:
This is a difficult review to write. I am sitting staring at my screen trying to figure out how to put into words what this book made feel. It was amazing. I wasn't really sure what to expect from Cinder. The reviews were mixed and I don't usually like fairytale retellings. Just not really my kind of thing. But there was no way I could pass up a book with a cover like that! It is so incredibly awesome. I bought this on my Kindle but after reading it, I really want to buy a copy for my shelf too which is something I never do! I didn't want this book to end. Ever.

I actually read the first 3% of this book last week and put it down because I had other stuff I needed to get read. I am seriously kicking myself now for not continuing on at the time! Once I hit about 10%, I was obsessed. I'm not kidding, I actually had to set my Kindle down for a bit because the book had me feeling so hyper and giddy. I was torn between wanting to tear through and devour it, and not being able to handle how amazing it was! I was just truly captivated by the life of this wonderful, strange and strong girl. Cinderella as a cyborg turned out to be a genius idea!

Everything about this new and advanced world fascinated me and I found myself so excited to find out more.    Cinder is such a brilliant protagonist. I found it impossible not to absolutely adore her and it's really easy to empathize with her. She's not treated well by many people at all yet she has such a lovely personality and is just genuinely caring and thoughtful. She's really selfless and really, really knows how to take care of herself. She's direct and tough and I loved it! She's feisty and unique. It's awesome.

How could anyone not think Prince Kai is awesome? You would think he'd just be arrogant and above everyone else but instead, he was witty, kind and just saw himself as a regular person. A little bit cocky, sure, but in a light-hearted and playful way. Every scene with him in it is just hilarious and laugh-out-loud funny. Cinder and Kai interact so well together and it's sort of heartbreaking to see Cinder trying so hard to keep her secrets from him for fear of scaring him away!

I loved Cinder's doctor, too! He was just fun and a really interesting guy. I actually just loved all the characters, really. This book was so, so entertaining to read. I can't remember the last time a book made me laugh so much. A lot of people have made the point that this book is predictable. Despite my five star rating and gushing review, I agree with them. I was probably only about 40% into the book when I figured out two of the ''big reveals'' but as other people have also said, it just doesn't matter. It doesn't detract from the story at all. A little mystery would have been nice, I suppose, but as it is, the predictable element wasn't bothersome for me.

Clearly, I adored Cinder. If you haven't read it yet, you should! If you have read it, I guess I'm joining you on the long, long wait for book two. Sometime in 2013? And the series won't be finished until 2015? I can't wait!

15 comments:

  1. Absolutely YES to this book -- I loved it so much, and I never wanted it to end either! Like you, I wasn't expecting to love it that much (even though I actually AM a fairytale girl) because the idea of Cinderella as a cyborg seemed strange, but Cinder was awesome, Kai was awesome (swoooooon <3), and the whole book was just overall awesome! Especially Cinder's doctor LOL! x)

    Amazing review, Nicola! I'm so happy that you're a fan of this book like I am. As soon as Scarlet comes out, I am definitely getting a copy! ;) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this about... Everytime I come across it; I am pulled in by the cover and I have even tried winning a copy through goodreads, forget it- I need to buy this book! Thanks for the decision making review! Only problem is, the precious little time I get to read, I probably have enough on my tbr pile to last several years...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicola! Wonderful review! The characters in this book are awesome! You should defiantly buy a print copy.
    This is one incredible story!!!! " Scarlet, come out soon, I mean now"
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing review, Nicola! I'm so glad you enjoyed this. I really liked this book too and adored Kai's character especially. ;) I'm definitely looking forward to promising things in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I think I need to give this book another shot. I picked it up once and put it down after a couple of chapters because I just wasn't into it, but I think it was me and not the book. I just wasn't in the mood or something. I've seen so many rave reviews that I feel like I need to try it again. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the cover of this book makes such a big impact, I am intrigued by it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cinder is one of my favourite books. Cinder and Kai were AMAZING characters, and her evil family was so well written too!! Trust me, I struggled to review this one as well. Desperately need the sequel…. Great review!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a fan of fairy tale retellings myself either. Glad you enjoyed it though. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, yes, yes... this was a great book. I'm glad you loved it so much. It's one of those books that I want to re-read close to the release of the next one - I rarely re-read a book. I know there are a few short stories that will be released until the next book is out - I think maybe one or two have already come out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the books we love the most can be the hardest to review! I still have not read this! I have my copy sitting on my table waiting for me though! I really need to get to it because it sounds like it is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book has been on my list for a while and my CP keeps telling me I need to read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Glad to hear you loved it so much! I liked Kai a lot as well :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great to know you liked it! I really enjoyed it too...my favourite thing was the fact it was a fairy-tale retelling-far in the future. When people modernise these things, it often goes well. When it's modernised further than today's world, it's often even better. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like you, I'm not huge on the fairy tale retellings and the android thing kind of seemed strange to me. But the cover is sooo pretty and I've been seeing so many great reviews for this one I know I'm going to have to read it. And since you seem to have felt the same as me and really loved it, that just convinces me more. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got my copy from the library and started reading. I've been waiting for months - the book went missing and they finally found it. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...