Monday 6 February 2012

Review: The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

Title: The Goddess Test
Author: Aimée Carter
Publication date:  January 1st 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Age group: Young Adult
Genre: Mythology
Cover rating: 4/5
Content rating: 5/5
Buy: Amazon


Description:
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.
My thoughts: 
I really did not know what to expect from this book. I was drawn in by the lovely cover and the description definitely intrigued me. The reviews I'd read hadn't made it look too promising though so I definitely went into it with a cautious mind and didn't expect too much from it. I was seriously delighted to find how much I loved it! I actually adored it from the start and knew it was my kind of thing after the first few chapters.

I am not that into Greek mythology, in general. I know bits and find it interesting but I am in no way well educated on it. The only other Greek myth books I've read were not ones I really enjoyed. This was so different though! I was just sucked right into Kate's world. Her mom is dying and her mother's last wish is to move to Eden, her hometown. So they pack up and head to this small town.

Kate's just trying to enjoy the little time she has left with her mom and has no time for friends or a social life. She has pushed the rest of the world out so that she can care for her mother. I'll admit that lately I've been getting a bit tired of YA book parents being dead or sick or absent but thankfully this situation turned out to be different than usual and I actually didn't see the twist coming at all!

I loved reading about Kate's time in Eden Manor. The concept of the Seven Tests was something that fascinated me as I always like plots like that. All the characters were so awesome though I'll admit Henry did irritate me at times! I get why he was acting like he was but I do think he's had long enough to come to terms with it, really! Kate went back and forth between being dependant and needy and definitely had a desire to play heroine to everyone around her. Which is understandable given that she had so little control over the rest of her life.

I was gripped by this whole book and I'm so glad to have found a series that I think I'll actually be able to follow through with for once! I am so excited about the second book and have really high hopes for it.

5 comments:

  1. I really want to read this! I love the cover! Brilliant review, I'm a new follower and love your blog! I would really appreciate if you would follow me back! Thanks :)

    http://booksterreviews-cliona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed this. :) I wasn't too keen on the first book but this does sound more promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Great review!! :) I loved this book, I can't wait for Goddess Interrupted! :) I really enjoyed the little twist at the end as well, when the Gods/Goddesses were revealed.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. New e-mail subscriber! I read The Goddess Test when it came out and really enjoyed it because of the Greek mythology. I'm glad to read that you really enjoyed it.

    I also have to agree with you on the parent thing. It was great to see Kate involved with her mother and when all was revealed at the end, I was shocked. I am really looking forward to Goddess Interrupted. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had this book for ages, Nicola. I really must get to it now that book three is out. Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...