Thursday 8 December 2011

The Road

Title: The Road
Author: Cormac McCarthy
Publisher: Picador
Publication date: September 26th 2006
Age group: Adult
Genre: Post Apocalyptic, Horror
Cover rating: 3/5
Content rating: 5/5


Description:
A father and his young son walk alone through burned America, heading slowly for the coast.  Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind.  They have nothing but a pistol to defend themselves against the men who stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food--and each other.
My thoughts:

Amazing, simply amazing. I'll admit, it took me a while to get into it due to McCarthy completely ignoring grammar rules. However, once the story got going, I no longer took any notice of the mechanics of the writing. The book follows the terrifying journey of a father and son as they make their way through a burned world.

I found myself completely connecting with the characters, despite the fact that we are not given their names. The story is horrifying at parts, especially when we're shown the lengths humans will go to in order to stay alive.

It's a very compelling story, and easily one of the best I've come across.

2 comments:

  1. I read this book also and posted my review on goodreads. Although the book was good the ending didn't settle well with me. I think he should write a sequel to this book( like Stephen King is doing for The Shining). The main character, of course, should be his son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can definitely see how the grammar situation would take some getting used to, but it's good to know that it doesn't detract from the quality of the story and the depth of the characters:) It sounds like a horrifyingly fascinating read, and I always enjoy those!

    ReplyDelete

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...