Sunday 4 December 2011

Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Published May 3rd 2011
489 pages
Genre: Young Adult Dystopia
Stars: 5/5



Description:
Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place her in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.
My thoughts:

This book was amazing. It had my complete attention from the very first page. The premise is both fascinating and terrifying. It was interesting seeing how humans reacted when they were only allowed express one personality trait. The characters were all very real and believable. Tris is an excellent example of a strong female protagonist and she has a very distinct voice. The story was compelling and filled with suspense, making the book very hard to put down. Divergent has certainly joined my list of all time favourites.

2 comments:

  1. I have read SO MANY reviews praising this book. I was late to the Across the Universe party, too. I liked it well enough, but it didn't blow me away. Needless to say I'm hesitant to read Divergent, for it got the same amount of attention.
    You review, however, was "sweet" and to the point. Maybe that's exactly what I needed to see lol, for all the others were pretty long.
    I especially like the "distinct voice" part. I'm picky when it comes to heroines lol...okay, I admit it...I'm picky when it comes to everything bookish. :-)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome when you find a book to add to your favorites list. I didn't love this one quite as much as The Hunger Games but it was very enjoyable and I look forward to Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete

So sorry about the word verification, it's the only way to stop the huge amounts of spam!

Thanks SO much for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...